You are invited to join Councillor Mike Layton, representatives of the City of Toronto, Shelters, Support and Housing Administration, and Christie Ossington Neighbourhood Centre (CONC) on Monday, October 5th at 7:30 pm to discuss and provide feedback on proposed changes to CONC and new shelter support for people at risk of homelessness in our community. CONC is an established provider of shelter services and supports for people at risk of homelessness in Ward 19.
Monday, October 5, 7:30pm–9:00pm
Bob Abate Community Centre
485 Montrose Ave (Bloor St W at Montrose Ave)
Purpose of Changes:
- Relieve pressure in our emergency shelters, which are at capacity throughout winter
- Provide a full service centre to help people move into a safe, affordable place to call home
- Provide healthy meals, skills-based workshops, health and wellness supports, shower and laundry facilities, for a vulnerable population
- This proposed shelter will accommodate 30 with a goal to work with men to move into housing with supports as quickly as possible
- This is one of many shelter facilities opening up in neighbourhoods throughout the City.
Opportunity to Help:
In addition to this public meeting, we are looking to create a community liaison committee (CLC) to be established as a way to keep dialogue open between local residents, business members, and staff of the shelter.
Other important dates:
- Thursday, Oct 15 Community Development and Recreation Committee Meeting where you can sign up to speak to the proposal. When the item and agenda are posted you will find them here.
- Tuesday, Nov 3 City Council for approval
If you have any questions and/or are interested in joining the Community Liaison Committee please contact Angela Surdi in my office at email@example.com or by phone at 416 397-4110.
You can download our flyer as a PDF here.